Welcome to Amsterdam – a city where the past and present collide.
Whether you wish to have to cruise the reflective waterways, wonder at the works of the Old Masters in the Rijksmuseum, or indulge in the city’s hedonistic nightlife, your DK Eyewitness go back and forth guide makes sure you experience all that Amsterdam has to offer.
Rich in heritage, Amsterdam’s perfectly preserved 17th-century mansions invoke the wealth and majesty of the city’s Golden Age. But Amsterdam is much more than it’s opulent past. Bubbling with creativity and liberalism, the streets are awash with state of the art art, theatre, and food. And even as night owls flock to the infamous Red Light District, families will find a huge mix of attractions and activities that won’t fail to keep the kids entertained.
Our ceaselessly updated guide brings this picturesque city to life, transporting you there like no other go back and forth guide does with expert-led insights and advice, detailed breakdowns of all of the will have to-see sights, photographs on practically every page, and our trademark illustrations.
• our pick of Amsterdam’s will have to-sees, top experiences, and hidden gems
• the best spots to eat, drink, shop, and stay
• detailed maps and walks make navigating the city easy
• easy-to-follow itineraries
• expert advice: get ready, get around, and stay protected
• color-coded chapters to every a part of Amsterdam, from the Central Canal Ring to the Museum Quarter, Plantage to Noord
• our new lightweight format, so you’ll take your guide with you wherever you go
Have less time? Try our pocket-friendly Top 10 Amsterdam for top 10 lists to all things Amsterdam.